Learning Japanese cheat sheets
Source: misshoneyvanity on deviantART
- Dripping water
- Trickling water
- River water
- Ocean waves
- Storm waves
- Mild rain
- Being underwater
- Being underwater in rapids
- Being underwater in the ocean
- Walking through leaves
- Shifting sand
- Walking in a forest
- Walking through a field
- Walking through a rainforest
- Tumbling boulders
- Walking on gravel
- Walking on metal
- Walking on wood
Sure, anony. (o´ω`o)
Watashi wa Ana desu. The highlighted information is after the wa; it’s the fact that my name is Ana.
Watashi ga Ana desu. The highlighted information is before the ga; it’s the fact that I am named Ana.
- "If someone asks me “What is your name?" and if someone else asks “Who is Ana?" In English, the answer to both is “I am Ana". But in Japanese the answer to “What is your name?" is: "Watashi wa Ana desu." Because “Ana" is the information I want to give.
- For the question: “Who is Ana?” for example when a teacher is asking a group of students, then I will answer: “Watashi ga Ana desu.” Because “Ana” is already given, the unknown information is who. So in the answer, I want to highlight “I”, therefore I use “ga” to indicate that is the information I want to focus on.”
- A few verbs, adjectives used with ga:
➨ 好き suki - to like
猫と犬、どっちが好き？- Neko to inu, docchi ga suki? - Do you like cats or dogs?➨ 嫌い kirai - to hate
嘘をつく人が嫌いです。- Uso o tsuku hito ga kirai desu. - I hate liars.
➨ 欲しい hoshii - to want
そんなにお金が欲しいのか？- Sonna ni okane ga hoshii no ka? - Do you want money that desperately?
➨ 上手 jouzu - to be good at
日本語がとても上手ですね。- Nihongo ga totemo jouzu desu ne. - Your Japanese is very good.
➨ 下手 heta - to be bad at
字を書くのが下手。- Ji o kaku no ga heta. - My handwriting is bad.
➨ 要る iru - to need
金が要るよ。- Kane ga iru yo. - I need money.
➨ いる iru - to be
兄弟がいますか？- Kyoudai ga imasu ka? - Do you siblings?
➨ ある aru - to be
歴史に興味があります。- Rekishi ni kyoumi ga arimasu. - I’m interested in history.
➨ 出来る dekiru - to be able to
日本語を話すことが出来ます。- Nihongo o hanasu koto ga dekimasu. - I can understand Japanese.
➨ 分かる wakaru - to understand
私は英語が分かりません。- Watashi wa eigo ga wakarimasen. - I don’t understand English.
- Question words with ga:
A:ほかに誰が来るの？- Hoka ni dare ga kuru no? - Who else is coming?
B:美咲が来る。- Misaki is coming.
何がそんなにおかしいの？- Nani ga sonna ni okashii no? - What’s so funny?
それが何か？- Sore ga nani ka? - Do you have a proble with that?
- In subordinate clauses, ga is used:
最近私が読んだ本は「不思議の国のアリス」です。- Saikin watashi ga yonda hon wa “Fushigi no kuni no Arisu” desu. - The book I’ve read recently is “Alice in Wonderland”.
俺がここに来たことをナイショにして。- Ore ga koko ni kita koto o naisho ni shite. - Keep the fact that I’ve been here a secret.
- For intransitive verbs, ga is normally used.
人が並んでいます。- Hito ga narande imasu. - The people are lined up.
電気が消えています。- Denki ga kiete imasu. - The lights are turned off.
I saw a printout of this on my sister’s bedroom floor and thought this might be useful for those of you learning Japanese. Particles are vicious, and a mistake can alter the meaning of a sentence in horrid ways.
Download the PDF from here
Oh my gosh this is helpful.
- Lang-8 (Journal in another language, be corrected by native speakers. Do the same for others by correcting them.)
- Polyglot Link
- FSI Language
- BBC Languages
- I Kinda Like Languages
- GLOSS (Foreign Language Institute)
- My Language Exchange
- So You Want to Learn a Language
- Mango Languages
- Learning with Texts
- South Asian Linguistics
- F*ckyeahsouthasia #Language
- Open Culture: Free Language Lessons (another masterlist)Reddit Threads:
SRS (Spaced Repetition flashcards):
- Memrise (Iphone/pad app available)
- Anki (droid/i-app avail)
- Skritter (Paid: Japanese/Chinese; i-app avail.)
Chinese (Mostly/All Mandarin):
- Chinese Grammar Wiki
- Fluent Flix
- Chinese Hacks
- Social Mandarin
- Hao Hao Report
- Hacking Chinese
- Reddit Resource List
- Why Chinese is so damn hard
- sugoideas, Taiwanese dramas
- Baidu radio, PRC radio stations
- Mac TV, Taiwan TV
- 中文字譜, site for making mnemonics
- Reviewing the Hanzi
- Perapera Chinese Firefox add on
- Better Chinese (Paid)
- China Sprout online retail
- Chinese Grammar (eh, looks dull)
- More Manhua
- Chinese Rage Comics
- English Slang in Chinese
- Sentence Structure / Particles / Modals
- Pleco for iPhone
- Chinese with Serge (he’s pretty clear)
- Review the Hanzi forum thread
- Nciku (search characters by drawing them)
- QQ international version / Weibo (Chinese “twitter”) / renren
- Apps: Mindsnacks Mandarin ($5, personal recommendation), Manhua Reader App, Pleco, Word Tracer Learn Chinese, Chinese with Pengyou Pal
- Books I own: (Far East) Illustrated 300 Chinese Character Dictionary, Reading and Writing Chinese (Tuttle), Chinese Link (favorite textbook so far), Integrated Chinese (Not as good as Chinese Link imho. Less organized/structured in a good format), Basic Spoken Chinese (Tuttle), Schaum’s Chinese GrammarGujarati:Hindi:
Indonesian - Bhasa Indonesian:
- Hangul Type Attack
- Seemile (Also learn Chinese)
- Talk to Me in Korean
- My Korean 1 & 2
- Busy Atom
- Korean Wiki - Hangul
- Grammar Dictionary
- Radio Korea
- Songang Korean Program
- Hulu Kdramas
- Airang “I Love Korean”
- Seoul National University Korean Crash Course
- Apps: Korean Letters Lite App (Free/Paid available), Korean Study Buddy App, Learn Sounds of Korean App (currently free)
- Korean Champ
- Korean Class 101
- Hangukdrama and Korean
- Learn Korean
- Resource List (Also Japanese)
- Books: Integrated Korean (Common textbook, friends used/liked it for class), Learn Korean for Beginner’s (Tuttle), Basic Korean: A Grammar and Workbook.
- All Japanese All the Time (AJATT method; perhaps worth a read for other languages)
- So You Want to Learn Japanese…
- Perapera Firefox add on
- Reviewing the Kanji
- Tae Kim’s Guide to Learning Japanese / The app
- Beginner’s Guide
- Kanji Damage
- Tofugu / Textfugu (Some-Paid)
- Rikaichan FF/Chrome
- Lingualift (Paid)
- I Know! (Paid)
- Nihon Shock ($25)
- Tagorin Dictionary
- Read the Kanji
- Nihongo Dekimasu
- Before Breakfast
- Kotodama Typing Game
- Real Kana
- The Japanese Page
- All Kana Aesop’s Fables (Practice translating)
- Manga RAWs
- Apps: Kana iphone/ipad app (all Japanese game), Ninja worlds (free/paid $3 app), Human Japanese (Free/$10)
- How to Read Manga/Watch anime (and understand) in 2 years
- Pastebin Reddit Resources
- Pera Pera Penguin
- Nihongo e na
- Jbox Study items
- Books I own: Japanese in Mangaland/Kanji in Mangaland, Learning Hiragana & Katakana (Tuttle), The Ultimate Japanese Phrasebook, A Dictionary of Japanese Particles (Kodansha), Essential Japanese Grammar, Barron’s Japanese Grammar, DON’T buy Yookoso! I’m using it right now and I hate it, it’s frustrating and confusing and uses an uncommon Romaji system for far too long. I’ve used six different textbooks in three different languages and this is hands down the worst of any of them. Genki is probably your best bet.
- Other Books: Remembering the KanjiMalay:
- Learn Thai
- Learning Thai
- TV Method Thai (Immersion oral learning)
- Learning Thai
- Women Learn Thai
— Check the detailed Resources Page.
- Tumblr tags: #learning _________
- Can I become Fluent in ______ in ______ months/weeks/days?
No. You can’t.
- Can I learn Japanese from just watching Anime/Korean from Kpop/Chinese from Wuxia films?
Not on your life. Do you only speak the english you know from Spongebob? N’SYNC? The 300? Didn’t think so.
- What about Rosetta Stone?
For $180-$399 dollars? Are you insane? The program is built to teach you the Romantic languages. If you buy Rosetta stone for $400, and pass up every free resource on this list, I doubt your desire to actually learn anything. Don’t do it to yourself. That is a lot of money you probably won’t get back.
- But I heard that Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Arabic/etc is really difficult:
Well if over a billion Chinese people can speak Chinese, why can’t you? No really, don’t let something like this bother you. No, this is not the ease of moving from a English to a Romance language or German, but hey, if you wanted to learn German (and all those ridiculous cases) you’d be doing that.
- But what about ______?
I have knowledge on resources mostly limited to JPN/CHI/KOR classes. This is a participatory list, which I am more than grateful to take submissions for.
- An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese
- A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar
- A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar
- Read Real Japanese Fiction
- ALC (I use this everyday)
- Goo dictionary
- WWWJDIC (with audio clips)
- JWPce (downloadable dictionary for Windows)
- JEDict (downloadable for Mac users)
- Idiomatic Expressions
- Idioms dictionary [Japanese only]
- Counters dictionary
- Hovering dictionaries:
→Rikaikun for Chrome
→Rikaichan for Firefox
→Floating Dictionary for Mac
- Current Affairs dictionary
- Jisho (I use this for spelling kanji for if I can’t read it)
- Yamasa (I use this for learning to write)
- A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters
- Associative Kanji Learning (stroke orders)
- Hukumusume Fairytales
- 竹取（Bamboo-Cutting） (vertical writing)
- 吉田秀幸の日記（Hideyuki Yoshida’s Diary） (recipes)
- Chokochoko’s reading texts to help with JLPT
- TED Talks (with Japanese subtitles and transcripts)
- Learning through Films [Japanese subtitles/scripts]
- 原稿用紙の使い方 (How to write an essay with Japanese writing paper)
- Shiritori (Japanese word-chain game)
Japanese sign language.
- Holy crap Japanese
- Nihongo ga Suki
- Jumpstart Japanese
- Nadine Nihongo
- That Japan Addict
- Japanese through Fandom
- F-Yeah Native Japanese
- J-Vocab of the Day
- ぶらりめし [Japanese only]
- Peaceful Chef [Japanese only]
Those studying in Japan.
I’ve added more to the list since first creating it. As always, if anyone has anything they would like to add, let me know!
MICROSOFT WORD HAS A FUCKING “INSERT CITATION” BUTTON WHY THE FUCK DID NO ONE EVER TELL ME THIS IS SIGNIFICANT INFORMATION FUCK THE SCHOOL SYSTEM THIS IS MICROSOFT WORD 2007 I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE AWARE OF THIS IN HIGHSCHOOL WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK I HATE EVERYTHING
you can fucking log your sources into your document and then at the end press a fucking button and it makes a bibliography page for you im
im not even lying im so mad